We're looking for an icon for our Mac and PC software application, Syntorial. Syntorial teaches users how to design sound using a Synthesizer. For those who don't know:
Synthesizer: An electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.
Think about electronic music and all of the "electric" and "digital" sounds you hear, and you'll know what a synthesizer sounds like. Here's a couple songs that are full of synthesizers:
This icon needs to embody the following qualities:
1. Synthesizers (but not too literally - see below)
We attached a pic of the software itself which can help give you an idea of the esthetic, as well a couple pics of some random synths. Couple other details:
1. After seeing a few design, we've realized that we're NOT looking for an actual synthesizer as the icon. Just something that represents or gives the feel of a synthesizer, or uses the image part of the image of a synthesizer as part of a whole. So be as abstract as you want. Just keep it clean, electric and modern. See attached pics "Pro Tools", "Reason" and "Cubase" to see how other audio applications have achieved symbolic representations.
2. For the Educational/Training/Learning element, make sure it's still cool. Nothing hokey or too academic.
3. No words. This is going to be the app icon that users double click to open, so we don't need "Syntorial" or any other words on it.
4. As you can see from the pic, Syntorial's color scheme is basically gray, blue and white. Feel free to stick to those colors, but if you want to add or try others make sure they work with that color scheme.
5. We'll be incorporating this into other graphics in the future (logo, about page, website, etc) so it needs to work as a small app icon as well as a larger image.
6. It should look good as small as 64 X 64.
7. This is not for iOS or Android, so no rounded squares.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!