Hero, the puppy is the main character on the student side of the app. Hero plays games with the students, and is part of the motivation layer for the student.
The winner of this contest will be creating the design for Hero the puppy.
Initial Design Guidance:
Cute Puppy - People need to recognize Hero as a cute (young) puppy so that he will be seen as approachable to the little kids who will be using this app.
Iconic - Hero needs to be clearly different from a generic dog as well as different from other cartoon dogs. We need Hero to be an original character that we can own (you are creating our Snoopy http://tinyurl.com/axxmwtu, our Blue http://tinyurl.com/n84796, for the lifetime of the project).
Cape - Hero needs to wear a cape.
Simple - Hero needs to be simple.
Non verbal communication - Hero needs to be able to show clear readable emotions and intents (These expressions should be whole body)
- Hero needs to be able to fly around and carry things with paws
- Hero needs to be able to sit
- Hero does NOT need to stand or walk
For the final contest deliverables please provide illustrations of Hero in the following 5 poses (additional poses welcome):
- Flying - the way a superhero would fly in a race
- Holding a microphone up to, and intently listening to, the student (app user), to clearly communicate to the student that Hero is listening to what the student is saying.
- Sad/Disappointed - This should clearly communicate to the student that Hero is sad that student did something wrong, like not feed Hero or no read a word correct.
- Confused - to communicate the Hero does not understand what the student is doing
- Happy - to communicate that hero is thrilled with that the student just did.
Please show clear emotion and/or intent in each of these poses. A kid should have no question as to what Hero wants or is trying to communicate to them.
Please show at least one example of Hero head on, 3/4 view (Sad/Disappointed) and profile (Flying) view so we can get a full picture of what Hero’s body shape is. Suggested poses for each view are in parentheses.
Deliverables should be in editable vector format.
Feel free to submit rough sketches early in the process if you want feedback on the direction(s) you are considering.
There is definite follow on work for the winner as we will need Hero in many more poses as well as other illustrated elements for the games. In the final round please tell us what you would charge to create additional poses of Hero.
We have a logo we like for the app (attached). Please incorporate the dog tag of the logo as the clasp of Hero’s cape (if you think this is a mistake please let us know). The style of Hero needs to be compatible when displayed with the logo.
If you think you know better or have alternate suggestions on any of this guidance please get your questions and suggestions in early.
Some examples with feedback.
- http://goo.gl/5wqEO - WE LOVE THIS - Very cute, wonderful puppy, simple, but only a little bit iconic.
- http://goo.gl/fMtrZ - WE LOVE THIS - Full body expressions are easily displayed and read at the full body level. Cute, iconic but not a puppy.
- http://goo.gl/G6rWR - WE LOVE THIS - ClassDojo's characters are cute, iconic and simple but of course they are not puppies.
- http://goo.gl/Z6AZi - WE DO NOT LIKE - Way too iconic, not cute, not a puppy
If you find other examples, on which a similar review would help you get calibrated please send them over.