Giulio succeeded in translating our design brief into an original illustration. He took the lead by his prompt response and effective communication. He took initiative in presenting his design on the substrate we intent to print it on. Well done!
- The Cakes
How The Cakes started their illustration or graphics journey
Who are you known as?
What industry do you think your business is most related to?
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
We manufacture decorative wooden storage boxes from Pine plywood and are based in Stellenbosch (South Africa). See facebook.com/cakegoed for more detail.
What inspires you and how do you envision the design for your business?
We require a new design for a large storage box with the following guidelines:
1. Vintage theme with an antique map of Africa as central design element
2. Other (smaller) design elements could have a travel theme, e.q. old tickets / stamps
3. Written elements could be in any language
4. Please use the following two quotes if possible: "Put down that map and get wonderfully lost", "Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith - Margaret Shepard"
5. The aspect ratio of the design must be 1.274 with the long side horizontal
6. Use only black, with - NB - no shading since the design will only be printed with screenprinting. It will be a #120 mesh screen.
7. Design output should be in vector format please.
8. See sample design included - we don't want a copy, but something similar.
I don't expect you to create a vintage-looking / old-style map of Africa from scratch. Use a stock vector if possible (such as http://shorl.com/rytytyfofuji) or vectorized photo (not sure if that's possible)
The dimension of the long side of the design (in the final print version) will be 345mm. Actual printing will leave a clear border of 1cm all-round the wooden substrate.