Something energetic/aggressive/attention-demanding, with a base of power/strength/gravitas -- is that not what you think when you think "TROLL"? If not, well, you're supposed to! We're looking for a logo with a presence that reaches out, grabs you by the throat, and headbutts you!
For some fifteen years my personal branding has been a piece of Toren Atkinson caricature art we call "the trollsheep" -- it can be viewed and Illustrator files downloaded here and the logo for the newly incorporated "Trollwerks Inc." almost certainly should include the head or at least a stylized version of it, unless your design is truly so utterly brilliant I'm glad to toss that 15 years of personal branding away.
The kind of feel we're looking for is the art of Aidan Hughes of KMFDM album cover/animated video renown. See his site (particularly this gallery) and these videos for guidance.
- Delivery must include SVG file displayable by Safari web browser. Big bonus points awarded for minimal file size.
- Delivery of source file in Adobe Illustrator CS3 (Mac) format strongly preferred.
- It's not an absolute requirement if your design is utter genius, but you will almost certainly be rejected out of hand if your design does not include some form of the trollsheep, as mentioned above.
- Logos with the letters "TROLLWERKS" legible strongly preferred.
- Prefer minimal use of color other than black/white; orange/red/grey are suggested highlight colors, but no hard restrictions there long as it looks good. Check out this example of exactly what we're thinking by "highlight." Bonus points for PANTONE color specifications.
- Bonus points for providing companion PNG icon designs in 16x16 favicon, 32x32 application icon, and 59x90 iPhone icon sizes. But don't bother with those details unless your initial concept gets a very favorable reaction.
- Attitudes of sarcasm and self-mockery are strongly encouraged.
- Formal, subdued, and otherwise "professional".
- Poncey fantasy fonts. Or any serif font, most likely. A suggestion would be an eroded industrial look such as the 28 Days Later font.