The inspiration comes from the dragonfly, a benign, beautiful insect that through independent use of its four wings, can fly in any direction. We apply an idea also called the butterfly effect (small actions can have a large impact) to the dragonfly, and use each of the wings to represent a different element of our framework.
We will use this art online, on the cover, and throughout as a watermark and core structure of diagrams, promo material, PowerPoint, etc.
1) The dragonfly should form the basis of the design.
2) Color is good (particularly purple, blue and green) but at least 1 treatment should be simple monochromatic line art that can be shrunken to 1 inch square and remain recognizable as a stylized dragonfly
3) The wings should be the hero, and they need to be exaggerated/widened (while still looking like a dragonfly) so in some treatments they may provide blank space for us fill them with text in diagrams describing the 4 elements of the framework mentioned above.
4) To maximize impact in the widest array of applications, the overall design should fit into a square (overall height equal to overall width).
5) In my mind's eye, this will be an overhead view of the dragonfly.
6) Style should be modern, consistent with Web 2 style.
6) Deliverables should include digital art in high, medium and low resolution jpg/png form as well as the original layered file.