St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center seeks an inspired and understandable Icon that will represent our community. The new logo should be strong and clean, modern design, preferably with distinct colors… not a cartoon, frilly or flowery design. We see the brand being used in conjunction with a separate icon to support the brand. The icon should represent one or more of the concepts that resonate within our parish community. These concepts include:
• St. Catherine of Siena – you may read about St. Catherine at a number of websites. Please search the internet for information as well as a gallery of images.
• Saint Dominic and Dominican priests – Dominican Priests have traditionally been associated with University centers throughout their history. The Western Dominican Province in the United States continues that tradition with a preference for establishing houses near University centers. In Salt Lake City, Utah, at St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center, Dominican Priests also are the primary Catholic ministers for the associated University faculty, staff, students and other Parish members. To learn more about Saint Dominic, please search the internet for information as well as a gallery of images. Other images which may also be of interest include the “Dominican cross.”
• Blessed John Henry Newman – Blessed John Henry Newman, also referred to as Cardinal Newman, was an important figure in the religious history of England in the 19th century. He was known nationally in England by the mid-1830s. To learn more about Blessed John Henry Newman, please search the internet for information as well as a gallery of images.
• The Rosary as revealed to St. Dominic by the Virgin Mary is the story of how the Rosary was given to the Church by St. Dominic, who had received it from the Blessed Virgin as a means of converting sinners. The Rosary is significant in the broader Catholic Church and especially to Dominicans. To learn more about the Rosary, (click here) as well as a gallery of images (click here).
In the development of your concepts, please explore the creative use of both positive and negative space.
We are open to the logo being an integrated design with the logo and the brand being adjacent to or inside of a supporting element. We would also like to see optional perspectives from designs which are mostly two dimensional to designs which are much more three dimensional in nature.
IMPORTANT!!! - Please do not mount the logo submissions on items such as hats, t-shirts, business cards, letterhead or coffee mugs. We only want to see your initial logo concepts mounted on a white sheet and facing forward.
Lastly, we would like to explore multiple aspect ratios from roughly 2:1 (two widths to one height) to a 1:1 (one width to one height). At the end of the contest, we will require the winning designer to provide the following files in the handover phase:
1. Unlocked vector file
, unlocked eps file
or unlocked .ai file
2. large .jpeg file
3. Font names and file(s)
4. Jpeg Color palette showing all colors used in the logo and their corresponding PMS, CMYK, RGB and HEX #’s. (see attached example below)
5. We will check the colors and layers of all of the handover files to ensure that they match the winning design. Please be prepared to handover matching files.
Thanks for coming to the St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center logo contest. We are looking forward to reviewing your inspired works and creating a fabulous new logo for our parish family.
For the designers I have worked with in many past contests, I hope you all know how much I greatly value and appreciate your fabulous work. This is especially true for this contest.
When you enter my contests, I promise to provide good feedback and usually, a very quick response. I know you all work hard for these contests and as always; I am honored to see your creative genius.
Please note: In my recent contests, we have had many new designers who were submitting sub-par work. Since both your and my time are valuable, I strongly suggest that if you do not have a competitive idea or a style that elevates the quality of the contest, please do not waste our collective time. Further, I am not interested in designs that simply rip off clip art or vector art.
Original Work!!! - The parish of St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Newman Center intends to create ownership of this brand and needs original design to accomplish that goal. In past contests, there has some very regrettable behavior by some designers who were copying others ideas, ripping off of vector clip art and even designers who attempted to present others logos in whole or in part as their own. This behavior is not tolerated in my contests. We look forward to reviewing your original work product, and I'm sure that we will be overcome by your awesome submissions. So, in advance of your efforts I say thank you very much to all of you... and good luck in this design contest.
If during the contest you have questions, please refer to the design brief or contact me directly at email@example.com .
Good luck, let the designing begin.