We need a Vector Art logo that will be used on our site, as well as on several Social Media sites (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc). The logo will also be used on some printed materials like Business Cards and other Stationary products.
FONT: We're looking for a modern, easy to read font, edgy, urban, that also portrays leadership, expertise and forward thinking, and FUN!. Yet the logo must be practical and simplistic.
ICON: The logo must contain an Icon that will quickly communicate that this is a Social Media company / website. The icon needs to look good in a small size as well since it will be used for the company's Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn Profile picture, as well as for an icon for an iPhone app.
SurSocial.com is Spanish for "Social South". Without limiting you to these thoughts in any way (if you get struck by some "out of the box" inspiration by all means please submit it), these are some things we've thought about:
1. We DON'T want to use the concept of a compass for the icon, unless you believe you've achieved an extraordinary result with it.
2. We DON'T want to use the map/shape of the South American continent, it's just not working well so far in the designs we've seen with that.
3. NO MORE PENGUINS PLEASE. WE’VE SEEN ENOUGH... THERE ARE A FEW THAT WORK, BUT IN GENERAL MOST ARE NOT WORKING.
4. Since the site is about exploring Social Media in Latin America, a concept that might work well is creating the logo as a “bumper sticker” that has the text and an illustration conveying the power of social media. The sticker would need to be rectangular and look somewhat vintage, and worn like it’s been traveling on a suitcase across South America. But remember the main point is to convey engagement, conversation, networking, connection. PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED FILE “STICKER EXAMPLES” IT SHOWS THE STYLE AND TEXTURE WE’RE LOOKING FOR.
5. A lot of Social Media companies have adopted "Call-outs" in their logos. If approached creatively and tastefully it's very effective. It's also an element that would work well together with the use of the penguin in the icon, or by itself as well!
6. Any other illustration (beyond the ideas of the penguins and call-outs) that conveys the concepts of social networking, connection, conversation, feedback...
Again, the above are things we've though about, BUT WE WANT YOU TO PUSH THE LIMITS HERE... Think outside the box!
COLORS: We feel a light blue color MUST be incorporated in the logo, as this seems to be a trend in Social Media (see Facebook, LinkedIn, Mashable.com, Twitter, they all use blue). See attached Color Palette (JUST A GUIDE!...)
Please review the attached files, we've made some notes in the "logos powerpoint" about things we like!!! I've also attached a zip folder with 2 examples of the look we would like to achieve if you choose to go with the sticker concept, along with 2 links to site with tutorials on how to create it.
We look forward to seeing your designs!