How classicWriter started their other graphic design journey
I'm writing a children's book series aimed at the 8-12 year old audience. It's about three African American brothers (ages 7, 8, & 10) with the 8 yr old, Alexander, being the primary character. The task is to design a classic book cover that is inviting and engaging. The book size will 6x9, softback.
Alexander the Salamander
What inspires you and how do you envision the design for your business?
The book series will represent a side of African American kids that are commonly not seen in the media. Middle class, fun-loving, smart, inquisitive, well-spoken, caring, giving, friends of diverse races, etc. I want a classic cover to use with a great typeset/font style and color combination. I will probably also use elements of whatever is designed for the book cover for other things such as a website or t-shirt.
Good baseline colors to use are muted earthtones...tans, greens. Accent colors of red and yellow are good too.
- A great book cover; something you'd want to read if you saw the book on the shelf.
- scalability (I want to be able to use this style for the full series of books to come.
- colors (muted colors are good; doesn't have to be too bright)
- book series name: Alexander the Salamander
- first book in the series is named: Alexander the Salamander and The Challenge
- good representation of wholesome African American boys.... Think along the lines of African American, J. Crew-type kids
- Delivery of final artifacts in .eps and .psd
- Exclusive rights to whatever is designed
- main character is a boy, NOT a salamander so no need to play up any lizards
- no hip hop references or styles