Brand name, logo and design have not been decided yet. Please keep the design relatively neutral with respect to logo.
Our company is launching a new service based in Germany. In the event of death, customers will be able to buy funerals, tombstones and maintenance contracts for tombs, or will be able to proactively buy a savings plan for themselves years and decades before their death will presumably happen. Your job is to create a design for our website.
There are two main audiences:
1. People suffering from losing a loved family member. They are seeking a dignified way to lay the dead person to rest. They are most likely to buy a funeral, tombstone and maintenance contract.
2. People having been made aware of our offer to save money for their own funeral. They intend to organize their own death according to their own wishes beforehand.
Both groups will need to see a dignified and in all cases tasteful website in front of them. The following words and examples characterize the style that we aim for:
* simple, easy-to-use, clean
* http://www.ruheforst-wildenburgerland.de/ (peaceful)
* http://www.leben-und-erfolg.de/ (clean)
* http://www.americanmonument.com (positive, but the header could be less tall)
* You can include images of trees, water or people if you think they would be working towards the design goals.
Examples of inappropriate styles would be:
* bright colors, “cheap” look
* http://www.ebay.de/ (too happy, too friendly)
* http://yahoo.com/ (too overloaded)
* http://www.gravestones.org.uk/ (appears nearly empty, low contrast)
* http://www.trustmemorials.com (overloaded, ugly color set)
Your job is:
1. to create a layout that will be used for all pages (header, menu, footer and text-styles for the page body).
2. to create an appealing homepage that has:
2.a. a small text area where we will be explaining in general terms what our service is about
2.b. four highly-visible buttons that will lead the customers to four “sub-brands” (shops equipped with different items) targeted at their specific needs. The actual text on those buttons is probably not relevant to you. Just keep in mind that the customers are supposed to choose one of them.
3. to create a style for text (a web-font, a font-size with at least 14px height and a line-height).
* A footer with a few rarely used text-links. It can be nearly invisible.
* A single menu that has room for about 20 items with 4 subsections which have a one-word header each. We will be linking to informative material from it.
* Please create a “highlight” style that we can apply to some of the menu items in order to make the more important ones more prominent.
* Please use a fixed-width layout of 960px width.
* Almost all of our pages will need to have a generous content area that should be in the foreground.
We will be commenting on your designs and try to help you to match our expectations. Please leave any comments you might have on improving this design brief! Thank you.